Another new comic book day comes to a close, and as usual, I am exhausted. Wednesday’s I usually work the full shift, a long 10-8, putting comics into the hands of people who just can’t wait another day to get their new comic fix – and that’s always a lot of fun… until I finally stop moving and realize just how tired I am.
Anyway, today was pretty cool for another great reason: my first article went up over at Comics Beat today! I’m pretty excited about this. Comics Beat is ran by Heidi MacDonald, who has been working in and around the industry for years. I haven’t told her this, but I was just a kid when she started editing the comic section in Disney Adventures magazine. She was the person who introduced me – and a lot of people my age – the series Bone, which Jeff Smith had been publishing in black and white at the time. Heidi somehow (I don’t know the details) brokered a situation where the story appeared in DA for several issues, going right up to the end of the first volume – and even squeezed out a story that Jeff Smith made specifically for DA as well! Now, of course, you can find Bone in all of your local bookstores and comic shops, as it’s one of the most popular series out there for folks of all ages. So yeah. Exciting!
…oh right, what was my piece about? Whelp, DC is doing another round of lenticular covers this year, and I pitched a piece that would go over the nightmare that occurred during the last time they tried this stunt, and how it compared to this new round. I think I did a pretty good job. Even got a hater in the comments, which oddly makes me feel good!
As for the rest of the day…
- Over at Comics! The Blog, I did a quick sell of Brass Sun, which is a book many of you should check out – especially if you’re into a bit of clockwork science.
- The newest episode of Podcast! The Comics went up, and James made me watch a show where women think they’re on a dating contest show with Prince Harry. It hurt my everything.
- Danica went over the results of the clothing swap she had on the weekend. From what I’ve heard, everyone came out of the experience with new clothes (for free!) while getting rid of a bunch of things they weren’t going to wear anymore. Win win!
Aaaaand, that’s going to be a wrap for the day. There’s more to talk about, but I’m tired you guys. So tired. Until tomorrow…
The last Tuesday of each month tends to get a little hairy at work – not only do we have to send off our monthly mail orders, but more often than not, that lands on the same week our monthly orders are due. This month is especially difficult, because I also have September’s books from DC to order, thanks to their stupid lenticular event (more on that tomorrow, hopefully), so I’m a little haggard – but not too haggard to miss out on my second daily post here at Submet. So without further ado, the day, in point form.
- The day kicked off at Comics! The Blog with an early look at tomorrow’s more interesting comic book releases. Books of note were Trees, C.O.W.L. and Brass Sun, which I will be talking a lot more about tomorrow.
- Note: I skipped talking about the release of the first collection of Umbral and Black Science, which is a bit of a crime. If you haven’t started up on those series, now is your chance. Do it. Do it like the wind.
- Later in the day, I did a bit of goofiness with The All New Orb. He’s the best, you guys. THE BEST.
- My darling girlfriend Danica wrote about starting… something. Anything. Seriously, if you find you’re having trouble with tackling a project, she has some good, succinct advice for you.
- The wonderful Andrea Speed stopped by C!TB to recap the second season finalé of Hannibal, which I’m sure ended with puppies.
- I’ve got a piece about the return of DC’s lenticular covers going up… somewhere on the internet tomorrow. That’s going to be followed up with a piece about Bob Wayne, and what his departure could mean for the comic book industry and retailers. I’m pretty jazzed about it.
- Tonight, I’m heading off to record Podcast! The Comics with my writing partner James Leask. We’re currently setting up an interview with a pretty high profile comic book writer, so keep an eye out for that in the coming weeks.
And with that, I bid you all adieu for another day. Hug someone for me, will ya? Thanks.
It’s that time of day where things are rounded up. It’s the round-up.
- It’s Monday, so that means we ran our Q&A column over at Comics! The Blog. Amoung the topics I avoided this week were the ladies of Lady Marmalade, bands I don’t care for, and a couple of songs I really do.
- Have you been reading Zero? I have. It’s definitely my favourite book out there right now. If you’re looking for a good example as to why, I’d suggest this article I wrote about the series’ second issue. Otherwise, I talked briefly about this week’s eighth.
- I should have a piece going up somewhere on the internet in the next few days. I don’t want to say where until it happens, but suffice to say, it’s pretty cool having other people interested in the things that I have to say about the comic book industry. Weird, but cool. Please don’t tell them that I’m secretly horrible.
- On Wednesday, if you’re lucky enough, you’re going to find a comic that features a superhero peeing on someone. Funny thing is, the book isn’t bad. The scene was a little weird, but… yeah. Not a bad book. If you’re the first person to tweet me with what that comic is, I’m going to straight up give you a $5 gift certificate to ComiXology. If nobody does by the end of the day, I’m just gonna go ahead and spend that $5 on me.
- Oh, and do yourself a favour on Wednesday and check out Brass Sun if you can find it on the shelves. I ordered a lot, because I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read of it in the pages of